The War on Plastic


Nick Schonberger from Selectism had posted something about the canvas tote bag as the replacement for paper or plastic from grocery stores. As part of the campaign to use more recycled paper and a sustainable biodegradable world, all of us knows that plastic is a hell no-no. But to fully eliminate plastic in our daily lives would be bollocks.

I think the idea of cooler canvas tote as your grocery bag is awesome (although I haven't got any, shame on me). Remember the Anya Hindmarch's 'This is not a Plastic Bag' ridiculous queue for the free giveaway campaign? People loves fashion and cool stuff, and a bonus when it is free. But sadly the Anya Hindmarch campaign initially wants to promote the use of canvas tote as the substitute of plastic when you do your grocery shopping, not as your normal handbag. I've seen a lot of people here in KL use those totes as handbags, and still use plastic when they go to Tesco. The campaign has gone meaningless then.

Definitely the canvas totes are easier to handle, cooler and simply more fashionable than the normal grocery plastic bag. The plastics are annoying, unbiodegradable (although I read somewhere the biodegradable plastics is a great solution) and a mess sometimes (I remember my mom used to keep the plastic bags from grocery stores and use it over and over again).

There are a lot of cool design for canvas tote bag out there, and you can check some of the list here in Design Observer. I found one in which by Lovegrove and Repucci's. It is lime green in color, functional (you can crumple it in the size of a bomb; how cool is that?) and cheap (sells at USD16).

Shop your shopping bag now!

3 comments:

ERman said...

Dude..mana Armani Trench Coat??

Little Samourai said...

I have heaps of these and because they're so cheap here they make good souvenirs. You can get a Benetton's for about USD5. :)

fidanuar said...

coy: yeah I know it's more widely used in Japan, but I reckon it's a new thing in Malaysia. Malaysian fashion sense and kesedaran towards environmental issue still new and limited. baik beli kat Japan je kan. so much option there I guess.

erman: tak jadi beli sebab takde my size. plus this month dah terover budget. I hope I can get it before heading off to Tokyo but kalau tak dapat, I don't mind buying it later.

top