Okuribito by Youjirou Takita



I used to have some perception regarding Japanese movie; they tend to be draggy, slow and monotonous. If they are scary type of movie, the ghost is easily predicted or recognized. A long rebonded hair is so Japanese type of spook. Or in general we can call it Asian type of ghost. If they're melancholic type of story, it must be one of the main cast is dying for serious illness. Yada yada yada.


I know about Okuribito long before I came to this land of Japan. I know it wins the Oscar. And I know Ryoko Hirosue is in it. But perception does influence me to temporize watching it. Although deep inside I do think it's gonna be a good watch.
And finally I downloaded it. And yes, now I know why they deserve the Oscar. It is like the same feeling when I first watched Volver (by Pedro Almodovar).
I do not want to further explain about the plot line and so on. Watch it yourself. I highly recommend it.
My favourite quote from Okuribito:

"Working here for a long time make me think
that death... is a gateway.
Death doesn't mean the end
but leaving the present, heading for the next stage.
Truly a gateway.
As a gatekeeper..
I've seen off many people
"Have a nice trip, and see you again"
I would say."

2 comments:

N'war said...

The last Japanese movie that I saw was Hana Yori Dango the movie. LA LA LA...

Tak suka horror movie. Tapi mmg betul lah. filem jepun lain sket ngan drama.

fidanuar said...

betul2! sgt lain! hana yori dango the movie best ke? tak tengok lg. don't worry, nauwar. okuribito bukan horror story. storyline dia mmg psl kematian, tapi takde unsur seram pon:p

top