The Movie Marathon

I am actually in the middle of getting my Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for my student visa to Japan to be done, but I won't rather let it to cost me boredom. I was busy the whole week emailing the respective person in admission office in University of Tokyo to ask about my situation (I still have not received my official offer letter yet, and I blame Pos Malaysia for it) and finally, I am going to submit my COE form back to them insya Allah by today. Within that frame of time, I was actually manage to download three movies and watched them back to back, marathon style.

The first movie is Volver, directed by Pedro Almodovar. It's a Spanish film, with Spain as the background. I first know about the movie when I was back in London 2 years back, was passing the film poster on the tube station. My friend who was me, instantly saying he already watch the movie, and it was good. 2 years after, I managed to download the movie and up to my surprises, the movie has won so many awards and recognitions. Even Mr. Almodovar is actually quite a renowned name in the industry. The movie, basically revolves around few characters but actually the main spotlight is on Raimunda, played by Penelope Cruz (she's awesome) who live in average life with her daughter, Paula and the always drunk husband, Paco. Paco was then been stabbed by Paula, after an attempt from Paco to molest her. Frightened and panic, they're apparently did not deal with one death alone that night, after at the same time, Raimunda's sister, Sole called her to inform that their Aunt Paula has passed away. The story then goes revealing the secret Raimunda had been kept all this while, and also the funny part where her deceased mother, Irene come back in their life. No, it's not a scary flick we're talking here. Volver was presented in a more cynical and dramatic way, with beautiful Spanish feeling to it.


The next film is the Long Time Dead. It's a British production film and I have watched this back in the university years. I always fond to hear people speak with British accent and somehow I can say, Long Time Dead is quite scary too. The plot of the film is loosely centers about a group of youngsters who played Ouija board and the ghost spirit named Djinn haunted them to death. Sounds like a boring film, but after all, I pretty interested to watch this film again.


The last film review, is A Beautiful Mind. I watched this after SPM and believe me, it's one of the film that I feel so satisfied watching it in movie hall and I do love genius people. A Beautiful Mind is a story about John Nash, a Nobel laureate in economics who use to work in Princeton and MIT. The main plot centers around Nash struggles against his disease of schizophrenia, where his creates imaginary friends and persons, and drawn to it. His disease has taken to a level where he thought he worked as the code breaker of the United States in Cold War. He was then been taken to the psychiatrist but managed to marry the love of his life and had one son (despite his condition). It appeared that schizophrenia cannot be healed easily, as he deals with the imaginary character every single time until he aged. He tried to ignore and while he struggle to do it, he faces discrimination and humiliation from people around him who always think he is crazy (yeah, he is but discrimination and humiliation is simply intolerable). A Beautiful Mind has taken me into the pleasure of being academic and knowledgeable.

On the book note, I am still waiting for the book of Tariq Ramadan arrive in Kinokuniya end of the month. Still reading the dramatic Michael Crichton's State of Fear.

0 comments:

top